Redirects are pages that, when linked to, send the user to another page instead. These are generally used for common misspellings of article titles, or in cases where two different spellings of a name have been used for the same object in different games (e.g. Princesses in Etrian Odyssey III: The Drowned City becoming Sovereigns in later games). Linking to redirects is generally discouraged within articles, where accuracy and consistency is key. Instead, the main purpose of redirects is to link users to the correct pages from locations over which the wiki has no control (i.e. external sites, the search bar, etc.).
To create a redirect, first check to see if one is necessary. To do so, manually go to the page using your browser's address bar (i.e. http://etrianodysseywiki.org/wiki/<incorrect title>). If you reach the page you were looking for, a redirect is not needed. If not, begin creating the page as normal. Its only content will be:
#REDIRECT [[<correct title>]]
Do not add any other content (aside from categories where necessary), or else the redirect will not work.
When a redirect is necessary
Redirects may be needed in these cases:
- Common misspellings (e.g. "Landshark" for "Landsknecht")
- Objects whose names have changed between games. The more recent English name should be used.
- Abbreviations (e.g. "EO2" for Etrian Odyssey II: Heroes of Lagaard)
- Titles that differ between US and PAL English translations (e.g. Samurai in PAL Etrian Odyssey vs. Ronin in the US version and later games)
- Capitalisation differences that do not go to the correct title otherwise (e.g. "War magus" for "War Magus")
Do not create redirects in these cases:
- Uncommon misspellings (e.g. "Protetor" for "Protector")
- Nonsensical titles (e.g. "some tree" for "Yggdrasil")
- Links to external sites; these are a potential source of confusion for viewers, as they give no notice that they are being linked to a different site than Etrian Odyssey Wiki
|Etrian Odyssey Wiki help pages|
|Basic editing||Getting started (To-do list) • Talk pages • Protected pages • Images (Image sourcing) • Moving pages • Redirects • References • Tables • Templates (Formatting templates) • Userboxes (list) • Help pages on MediaWiki.org|
|Advanced editing||HTML in wikitext • Custom signatures • Archiving talk pages • Administrators' guide|
|Other information||Administrators • User rights • Affiliates • About|